Mindfulness-Based Life Skills + Counseling
Shelly Sowell, M.Ed., LPCC, is professional clinical counselor who is passionate about helping people bring deeper awareness and balance to their lives, in order to create more meaningful and inspired living. She teaches, counsels and creates from an integrated wellness approach that includes developmental, relational-cultural, and body-centered models of therapy and healing. Her work in parent education centers around mindfulness and brain architecture. She attended graduate school and trained at Vanderbilt University, in Nashville, Tennessee. She most frequently teaches Intro to Mindful Parenting and Growing Healthy Kids in the Digital Age, as well as others.
Shelly in a nut-shell: Mama x1. Intuitive. Passionate Learner. Mindful. Nature Loving Coffee Connoisseur.
Never give from the depths of you well, but from your overflow. -Rumi
Shelly is a professional clinical counselor who works with individuals, small groups, businesses and schools. She counsels and teaches from an integrated wellness approach that includes developmental, relational-cultural, contemplative and body-centered models of therapy and healing. She is passionate about helping people bring deeper awareness and balance to their lives, in order to create more meaningful and inspired living. Shelly attended graduate school at Vanderbilt University Peabody School of Education and trained at Vanderbilt University Psychological Counseling Center in Nashville, Tennessee. She has worked as a counselor, educator, consultant and mindfulness-based life skills instructor throughout her wellness career, which began in 2004, and has created wellness businesses in Miami, Los Angeles, Nashville and Louisville.
Mindfulness is present moment awareness that assists in witnessing and experiencing life in a responsive and compassionate way. Engaging in mindfulness practices helps one to develop a state of peace in the midst of chaos, as it increases skills to observe fully one's inner and outer experience and creates clarity of the mind for enhanced perspective and effective decision making. Among many researched benefits, mindfulness practices help reduce stress, increase attention and concentration, increase one’s ability to empathize with others and help with pain management. Regular practice can help one to become grounded and more open to intuitive wisdom and creativity, which helps cultivate inner strength and helps one to be responsive rather than reactive to the world. Shelly's practice and instruction of mindfulness is through the lenses of developmental, relational-cultural, humanistic, and body-centered psychotherapy traditions. These approaches share a common thread of forming an empathic and empowering relationship with the client while creating a safe space for healing through authentic presence. This present moment approach is the perfect ground from which to introduce mindfulness practices that can significantly enhance one’s wellness and wholeness.
Individual, Couples and Parent Work
Many people seek Shelly's expertise for the following:
- Individual psychotherapy teens and adults
- Individual Mindfulness-Based Life Skills Coaching
- Couples – Mindful Partnership Coaching
- Consulting, Training & Workshops for Schools & Businesses
- Parents – Mindful Parenting Consultation & Coaching
Reach Shelly directly at (502) 396-0879 or by submitting your contact info below to schedule an appointment.
Get free access to Cultivating Resilience by submitting your info below. This guide includes:
- Expert advice on how to approach lifestyle change from nationally board certified health coach and Meridian Integrative Wellness founder, Jessica Hill Powell.
- Twelve pages of self-care for mind, body & spirit to promote stress relief and resilience.
- A new way to examine and learn valuable information from your unhealthy coping mechanisms.
- Meditation how-to's, including how to find time to fit it in your already busy life!
- Healthy boundaries as a way to honor yourself and other people simultaneously.
- Practical tips to help you plan for good nutrition, plus a sample meal plan, grocery list and blank templates.